Tips on Mask Care
How to Care for the Masks
It probably is wise to remove the mask outside your house. Masks are washable; however more you wash, the more the material deteriorates.
Below are some of the options to sanitize the mask. You can also put a tissue between your face and the mask when you wear it. Any dirt inside the mask would get on the tissue. This will minimize the need to wash your mask.
Replace the tissue every time.
Sanitize the mask after every use.
GARMENT STEAMER - Steam is said to destroy the virus. These small steamers are Safer, Easier, and Quicker to use.
IRON - the extremely hot temperature is said to destroy the virus. However use caution when using so you do not injure yourself.
UV Light - if you own a Sanitizing UV machine, follow the instructions and sanitize the mask.
Sunshine - Strong sunshine can help sanitize. However, since it is difficult to know for sure how much virus was destroyed, I would take it safe and wait 3-5 days.
According to various info, Coronavirus can live on fabric for approx 1 day. However if you have a store bought mask, take caution because the virus can live about 7-10 days.
If you need to re-use the store-bought masks, mark 10 masks (or more)
(ie M T W Th F Sa Su 1 2 3) or so and use one every ten days. As long as you do not get those masks wet, the quality does not degrade even after approx 30 uses. However you probably should not use it that many times.
Back to hand-made cloth masks.
After a few uses, you need to wash the masks.
- Sanitize the Mask
- Take out the filter. You MUST take the filter out before washing! Always sanitize the mask before you remove the filter. You do not want virus to spread all over the place.
- Remove the filter out of the filter.
- Dispose the filter.
- Remove and save the nose wire. Remember to re-insert. (in case you have trouble taking out the wire, you can leave it in.)
- It is better to hand wash, but you can machine wash too. When using the washing machine, tighten the rubber-bands on the elastics so that they don’t come off. It is the best to use a laundry net and choose gentle cycle
- Dry very well in the dryer. For best result, reshape the mask when wet then use dryer tray for sweaters and dry.
- Remember to insert a clean filter material before you put on the mask again.
Stay safe and healthy!
Place Order (coming soon)
About the Face Masks